Mission of Namgyal Ithaca
Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist Studies is an American not-for-profit organization with the following mission, mandates, and values. We operate under the guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and in collaboration with the main Namgyal Monastery in India.
- To offer authentic Tibetan Buddhist teachings in the context of a nonsectarian institute promoting dialogue between Western scholars, clergy, and Tibetan teachers.
- To provide resident Tibetan teachers with opportunities to learn the English language as well as Western academic, social, and technical skills.
- To provide facilities and programs supportive of training in and practice of Buddhist Dharma in the Tibetan tradition.
- To function as a Tibetan cultural center, with a particular focus of providing cultural support to the local Tibetan community of Ithaca, New York.
- To foster Tibetan Buddhism and culture.
- To follow the guidance and personal example of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and to make all major programmatic decisions and initiatives in consultation with His Holiness.
- To maintain a mutually beneficial collaboration with Namgyal Monastery, Dharamsala, India.
- To operate the Institute and its programs in accordance with our stated values.
- Compassion for All Beings
- To work in ways we are able to relieve the suffering of sentient beings.
- To promote understanding and cooperation between various religious groups.
- To promote diversity in our community including economic, ethnic, racial, age, gender, sexual preference, and people with disabilities.
- To provide equal treatment and opportunity for all members of the community.
- To be willing to endure short-term hardships in service of long-term goals.
- To persevere in our efforts to honor our obligations and responsibilities to members of the community.
- To maintain consistency between our words and deeds.
- Openness and Honesty
- To conduct the affairs of the organization in an open and truthful manner.
- To work in a cooperative and positive spirit to fulfill the goals of the organization.
- To welcome new ideas and methods to improve our ability to fulfill our mission.
- Ethical Behaviour
- To promote the practice of Buddhist ethics in the conduct of organization business.
- To conduct the business of the organization in compliance with all local, state, and national laws.